Ocean Shores Reminds me of Babar


"We Set Up a Committee..."

Ocean Shores sometimes reminds me of Babar the Movie. For those of you unfamiliar with it, whenever anybody wanted to do something, the Ministers would want to simply study things and talk about it until the idea went away.

Examples abound. In Ocean Shores, just to cite a few very recent notions considered by the City frecently, off hand, in no particular order, include:

  • Improvements for nonmotorized road users along Point Brown Avenue north of the roundabout
  • Nightly rental system for regular residents and not just well-heeled developers like Oyhut Bay
  • Golfcarts on city streets - policy that makes sense
  • Airport as more than just a blob unconnected to the town in any real way
  • Sound financing so basic services like keeping streets repaired don't require new taxes
  • Weatherwax as either recreation or revenue producer - or BOTH
  • Beach trail, dog park, and other simple recreation facilities
  • Beach safety
  • Ferry to Westport
  • Farmer's Market
  • Convention Center Plan
  • Marijuana businesses - there's one, and the owner is determined to prevent any competition
  • Heliport
  • Any sensible rules for keeping poultry in the city

I'm sure there are many more, and I'll add to this list from time to time as I recall these things. Watch the video above and you'll get the idea how government works in Ocean Shores.

OTOH, if you watch the video BELOW, you can see how things have changed, starting at 1:37, compared to my post, made in 2015, shown here. In the interest of FULL DISCLOSURE - I have never met the "Steve" in the video below and, as far as I know, he is no relation. Regardless, the whole post is well worth a watch if you are not of the Ocean Shores "Establishment." Unintendly or intendedly, it says a lot about the mindset of Ocean Shores and of the mindset of other Ocean Shores residents...


.

1 comment:

momaverill said...

Steve? averill?? - I wonder!! Anyway I just listened to this and I wonder if you could have been a professional rapper? Naw- I think you did just great as you are. Successful at all sorts of things. Thanks though it was an interesting song.